Meditation is traditionally regarded as one of the most potent forms of realizing one’s spiritual being, and in the process, one can live a healthy and aware life. Different people adopt different meditation styles, but if there’s one universally acceptable mode of meditation, that has to be the Chakra Meditation.
Chakra Meditation – Basics
Quite simply, Chakra Meditation refers to the process of balancing and energizing all the 7 energy centers (Chakras) in order to align the flow of energy through them. These 7 energy centers, or the Chakras, are:
1. Root or Base Chakra located at the base of the spine and related to the element ‘Earth’. It governs our general health, prosperity, and security.
2. Orange or Naval or Sacral Chakra located at the center of abdomen and related to the element ‘Water’. It governs our emotions and sexuality.
3. Solar Plexus governing your metabolism, autonomy and conviction is located just above the naval region and related to the element ‘Fire’.
4. Heart Chakra governing your general relationships, and feelings of love and compassion is located at the center of the chest and related to the element ‘Air’.
5. Throat Chakra governing your sense of creativity, resonance and communication skills is located at the base of the throat and related to the element ‘Sound’.
6. Orange Chakra, also called the Naval or Sacral Chakra, is situated at the center of abdomen. It is related to the ‘Water’ element, which governs our sexuality and emotions.
7. Crown Chakra located at the top of the head and related to the element ‘thought’. It governs consciousness, wisdom, and knowledge.
By concentrating and synchronizing these vital energy centers, one can achieve a calming influence on the mind resulting in stress-free existence and a contented life. Chakra Meditation also helps in naturally healing any ailment related to these 7 vital energy centers.
Chakra Meditation Techniques
Chakra Meditation is the sum total of the following three techniques:
1. Grounding Technique, which aims at making the body feel connected with Earth. You just need to visualize a root growing from your body and entering into the Earth. This requires intense focus and mental presence during the act of visualization.
2. Centering Technique. This technique is vital as it prepares your body to receive the benefits of Chakra Meditation. Again, the application of this technique is not too difficult. Just take 4-5 deep breaths and feel every body part from head to toe getting relaxed. This process involves tightening and relaxing each body part from toe, and then visualizing the act of a potter who centers a pot on the pottery wheel.
3. Relaxation Technique refers to the process whereby, the body feels relaxed by an act of visualization that suits an individual the best. Every individual is free to adopt his or her own relaxation method.
Here is one of the most common methods of performing Chakra Meditation:
a) Sit or lie down in a comfortable position.
b) Close your eyes and loosen your clothing. The idea is to be in a natural state without any kind of artificial compulsion on the body and mind.
c) Breathe in a relaxed manner, which should be neither too fast nor too slow. The idea is to give up the control on your breath, and let it flow naturally, but healthily.
d) The next step relates to feeling every part of your body from toe to head in that direction. While your eyes are closed, try to feel everything that you would’ve seen with open eyes, like earth, air, clothes, surroundings etc. The idea is to feel awareness even with closed eyes.
e) You may experience a wave of thoughts, fears, and every kind of emotion during this process. Don’t avoid them! This represents the release of stress-related thoughts. With practice and regular exercise, these negative emotions and feelings will disappear.
f) Don’t hinder your awareness! Let it flow freely from one part of the body to another.
Chakra Meditation can be performed by anyone at convenient hours. There is no rule for the duration of time to perform Chakra Meditation. Suit your comfort levels!
July 22 2008 02:02 pm | Alternative Medicine