Learning the ins and outs of dieting can be excruciatingly painful. You see, there is simply too much bad information mixed in with the good information.
Why is there so much snake oil advice? Because there is simply too much money to be made selling diets. And where there is money to be made, oodles of entrepreneurs will take advantage.
So, without further ado, here are 5 mistakes women make with their nutrition when losing weight:
1. Not eating before training: Not only does food give you energy before exercising, but it also helps you burn more fat! Although counterintuitive, it’s the truth. The key here is to have a low glycemic load snack before training-you have to stay away from simple sugars.
2. Not eating right after exercising: One of the best ways to recover as quickly as possible from exercise is to eat right after. And if you recover quicker you can exercise more frequently. So don’t let more than thirty minutes go by before you eat.
3. Substituting meals with protein bars and shakes: The best food for weight loss is that which digests the slowest, there is no way around this. And whole food will always digest slower than protein bars or shakes. Furthermore, many protein bars pack more calories and sugar than a snickers!
4. Trusting everything that’s on a label: Labels can be manipulated to many ends. Even worse, there are many loopholes within FDA regulations that allow food companies to make some extremely deceiving claims. Even worse than that, a lot of the charts and graphs that supplement companies put in advertisements are baked.
5. Using exercise as an excuse to eat everything under the sun: This is more of a psychological issue and it has destroyed the hopes of countless women. Just because you exercise does not mean you can eat everything you want. Keep in mind that a single meal at a restaurant can have the amount of calories you should be eating for the entire day.
There is no perfect way to diet for weight loss. And expect to make many mistakes on your journey. The key here is to not get frustrated and course correct as quickly as possible.
Writer Katherine Crawford, an exercise expert and recent arm fat sufferer, teaches women how to tone fat arms quickly. Figure out how to get sexy and toned arms by visiting her blog about shrinking bingo wings now!Tags: beauty, diet, dietary supplements, exercise, fat, fitness, food, health, metabolism, Nutrition, weight loss, weight loss program, wellness, women
March 15 2010 04:30 am | Nutrition